Thursday, October 18, 2007

Lost in Translation

After reading the four selections from class, I find myself most intrigued with the excerpt from Lost in Translation, by Eva Hoffman. I think I really enjoyed it because I thought the style of writing was engaging; it was complex and deep, yet easy to read. It was also something I could relate to very closely. Like Hoffman, I too find myself at a loss for words at times, grasping for the term to correctly describe what I would like to express. Like Hoffman, I love to learn words that you can only see on paper. Like Hoffman, there are times when I question the sound of my voice as I form these syllables. I loved her writing. There was an immense sadness and a longing for a place to call home, and that utterly moved me.

Someone mentioned in class that if it had been Hoffman's own choice to move, she may not have been so homesick because she herself would have wanted to leave. I must say, I agree. Hoffman did not want to leave, so she longs for home. I also think, just from my own personal experience, that she has an idealized version of Poland in her mind and she limits herself from becoming a part of her new surroundings.

I also liked how I could see how American-born students could still relate to the reading. Everyone has their awkward moments, no matter what country you're from. Everyone comes into contact with unfamilar situations in which they must adapt their ways. Everyone has experienced the pressure to fit in. This excerpt was universal to people of all cultures, backgrounds, and nationalities.

1 comment:

caroline said...

I'm glad that you found LIT so easy to relate to. It seemed like you really focused in on Hoffman's feeling like an outsider. I wonder if this couldn't be a theme that you explore in your second paper. Do you see other authors representing themselves as outsiders? How?