Sunday, December 16, 2007

Baghdad Burning

When the assignments for our blog books were first announced, I was not pleased with being assigned Baghdad Burning. The only thing I knew about it, really, was that it was about an Iraqi woman living through the current war in Iraq. Because I am not a very politically oriented person and I assumed it was a blog dealing with political issues, I was very uninterested. However, as I began to read, I found it to be a very enjoyable novel. Although she did discuss politics, she provided humor and a relate-ability I was not expecting. In fact, her level of comprehension of the English language was beyond what I would have thought possible for someone who spent their whole life in a non-English speaking country. It was easy to read and I found myself learning many new things about Iraqi culture as well as the war that I had no idea about. It was a surprising turn of events, but I found myself really liking Baghdad Burning.

No comments: